- December 11, 2017
- Posted by: hitechmembranes
- Category: Water Purifier
Having access to clean water is not just a necessity these days. It has become one of the basic human rights. Water that contains contaminants isn’t just dirty- it’s deadly. Millions of people die due to water prone diseases. To avoid exposure to such deadly diseases, chlorine is added to water. It is a highly effective disinfectant that is added to public water supplies to kill disease causing pathogens. Despite its benefits, the adverse effects of chlorine have given rise to a new set of questions.
Why do we use Chlorine?
Chlorine has played an important role in Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System. It is not only an inexpensive water disinfectant but also very effective and fairly persistent. It helps in removing pathogens such as bacteria, viruses, and protozoans that grow in our water supply. It serves an important purpose in filtering the water that we use in our day to day lives. But, all good things have some flaws in them and so has chlorine. People are becoming more and more aware of the adverse effects of chlorine and looking for ways to remove it from the water they use for drinking and other purposes.
Pitfalls of Chlorine
So what causes it to be so harmful? Chlorine reacts with naturally occurring organic and inorganic matters present in our water to form harmful byproducts such as trihalomethanes (THMs) that can be a risk to our health. Intake of even a small amount of bleach(chlorine) irritates the esophagus followed by burning sensation in mouth and throat. If this is what a small amount costs, then what will happen if you intake higher doses of chlorinated water. Here are a few finding according to a research:
- Breast Cancer: Women with breast cancer have 50-60% higher levels of THMs, a byproduct of chlorine, in their fat tissues than the healthy women
- Asthma & Dermatitis: According to a research by world health organization, asthma and episodes of dermatitis have been triggered in people consuming chlorinated water.
- Nervous System Effects: Infants and young children who drink water that contains chlorine, could experience nervous system effects. Some people may even experience anemia.
- Bladder Cancer: According to a survey by U.S Environmental Protection Agency, THMs are found to be responsible for nearly 17 percent of bladder cancers diagnosed each year in the US.
Optimal Solutions for Chlorine Removal:
Majority of our households receive water from public water suppliers that have been treated with chlorine. Leading a healthy life doesn’t cost much- just a good ro water filtration system. Using the best water filtration technique has become really important these days and for those who are looking for an economical, yet effective solution to clean drinking water might consider installing a Reverse Osmosis water filtrations. The RO systems contain carbon filters that can remove chlorine while other RO membranes and filters remove contaminants like toxic metals to serve you an ultra pure drinking water.
There are many alternatives that help in water purification but the ultimate technology now available for removing harmful contaminants is Reverse Osmosis water filtrations. It will provide a healthier and safer drinking water compared to any other water treatment alternatives.