First thing in the morning any person needs is water, it is the most important element any living being rely on. Basic necessity for living is water, air and food. To live a healthy life cleanliness is must. Nowadays people are more conscious about their health and fitness, so first thing to live happy healthy life is pure water. Advanced technologies have developed numerous types of filters and purifiers. We can easily count the times of water usage in our routine time and it is impossible to imagine a day without water. Happy water = happy you.
Scientific reasons: Why do we need water filter?
Anywhere when we drink water only thing bother us is the water, we are consuming is pure and hygienic or not.
- Raw water contains many harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi, man-made chemicals and toxic metals, water filters remove or reduce these impurities.
- Drinking pure water is especially important for children.
- By removing chlorine and chlorine by products from drinking water, water filters reduce the risk of rectal cancer, colon cancer, and bladder cancer.
- A solid block carbon water filter can selectively remove dangerous contaminants from drinking water while retaining healthy mineral deposits that balance the pHof drinking water and which is useful in industries, too.
Water purification process:
Water Filtration process help to remove or reduce impurities such as chlorine, lead, nickel, iron, hydrogen sulphide, mercury, magnesium, copper and many more harmful elements. They also inhibit further development of bacteria, algae and fungi. There are many household, electric and chemical based water filtration processes are introduced. House hold filtration processes such as boiling water, slow sand filters and chlorine bleach are not supposed to purify water and balance pH level. Nowadays most advanced and popular purifiers are UV (ultraviolet) + RO (reverse osmosis) purifiers.
Types of water purifiers/ filters:
- Activated carbon filters:This filtration provides the potential for greater absorption of many chemicals and greater particulate filtration than other types of purification methods. Effective pore sizes are usually below 1 micron. Certain filters are designed to better reduce specific contaminants like arsenic, mercury lead, etc. It does not require electricity or water pressure. Harmful minerals like cadmium is not naturally reduced or removed.
- Candle filters:
Water is purified through a candle with each minute pore, any impurity that is larger than pores get blocked out. Avoid clogging of pores caused due to impurities of water. Clean the candles and it needs to be replaced frequently. Cheapest water filtration which doesn’t require electricity.
- Water ionizers:
Proper iodine concentration and a 30-minute contact time in moderately turbid water. Maintain the concentration at 20C / 70F or higher, all harmful bacteria and most viruses will be destroyed. Water ionizer is lightweight and convenient but time consuming method. The colder the water, the more the time is needed for proper disinfection. This filtration doesn’t affect the cryptosporidium protozoa that can cause illness with diarrhea.
- RO (reverse osmosis) filters:
RO filtration moves high concentration to low concentration with the incoming water across the membrane. As shown in the image below:
Here is a membrane that filters the dissolved solids and invisibles particles like bacteria but damaged membranes are hard to notice, thus it is not easy to tell if the system is still functioning properly and it requires regular cleaning to ensure the high quality of water stored. The RO water purifiers have a special membrane that should be replaced from every 2-3 years. The pre and post filters that come with most RO systems require changing periodically according to manufacturer’s recommendation.
- UV(ultraviolet) water purifier:
Water passes through a clear chamber where it is exposed to ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet light effectively destroys bacteria and viruses. For a UV water purifier, ultraviolet lamps require annual replacement for better performance. After one year there is no assurance that the UV light gives sufficient disinfection. Ultraviolet quartz sleeve needs cleaning many times in a year. Anything that is not ‘alive’, like lead, asbestos and chlorine, are not affected by ultraviolet light.
- Ozone filters
Passing oxygen through ultraviolet light called O3 filtration. Atom of oxygen provides a powerful oxidizing agent. Produces trace amounts of a type of carcinogen called bromate.
Various water purification methods are available; to choose the best purifier you should consider factors like quality of water and depending on the factor where you will collect the water.